Tuesday, April 17, 2007

contagious

Michael Jordan, R.C. Sproul, Steve Erwin, Bethoven, Craig Bartholomew, Anne of Green Gables, Ben Folds--- what do these people have in common? Passion. A love for basketball, crocodiles, music, or just "plain" life- passion emanates from their whole being and I find it very contagious.

For example, I am not the science type. Not really at all. I think my highschool experience with the subject damaged me for life. But, I was captivated for almost 2 hours by a man who came to redeemer for the science fair to show a few cool things about science. I couldn't peel my eyes off this guy! Not that he was much to look at ( I'm not being rude, bear with me) being 5 ft nothing, bit of a funny accent, thick rimmed glasses, passed the age of retirement...BUT man, it took about 3 seconds for anyone to see that this guy absolutely loved science- and about 4 seconds for the excitement to pass from him to the crowd. How does that happen? The guy was in his element- it was obvious to everyone, and that love has GOT to be contagious.

Ben Folds. There is another prime example. My friends and I went to his concert last night, which was INcredible. He is a musical genius in love with his piano. You can just see it- from the second he started pounding on those keys, that he was loving it. I've never seen fingers move so fast in my life-they were a blur. But what made it so great was the fact that HE was loving every single second of his music. To move from good to great you need talent + passion. People sense if, feel it, love it, and catch it. Again, my eyes were glued to Ben and his piano... ahhh fantastic.

Science and Music- I'm not great with either of them but the best part of that is I don' t have to be. I was able to share in the passions of both the crazy scientist and Ben Folds just by watching them do their thing: How sweet is that? I love when I meet people that are driven by their passions in life. Their excitement is contagious.

3 comments:

Katrina VandenBerg said...

passionate people make the world go round.
im with you on this one Ree, there is almost nothing I love more than seeing someone talking about/doing something they are passionate about. its a beautiful thing.

Robyn deGroot said...

Amen. Ben Folds is AWESOME!!!!

Vanessa Brouwer said...

For sure.. Ben Folds is ridiculously talented and it was awesome to watch him just go nuts on the piano, maracca, synthesizer..wow