Monday, May 16, 2011

A month and change

It's been a memorable month.
Jesse was born, and I learned a thing or too about caring for him.
James got sick, and I learned a few more things about caring for him.
James went to San Diego, and mom took us in for the week, and we were cared for.
Jesse got a throat infection and thrush, and still, we were cared for.
There were three weddings this month, all very different, but all involving the same promise-- that partners would care for eachother, and we, the church, would do likewise.

This month I have experienced the care of God.

We have had to turn away meals because our mouths cannot keep up and the freezer is full.
Our son is thriving-- packing on pounds-- and learning to smile.
James had an opportunity to try out for a job at Redeemer, and I'm excited to see what other doors God may want us to walk through in the next couple months.
I just went to a baby shower, thrown by a church we are not yet members of, and received gifts from people whose names I don't even fully know yet.
I have reconnected with old friends because we share a "mom bond"
I have reconnected with friends that don't have kids, because I crave conversation that doesn't revolve around kids.
Letters and gift cards come spilling through our mail slot-- providing no shortage of date nights, and teaching me a thing or two about generosity.
This past Sunday was Jesse's baptism.
As a kid, I didn't quite get it. I snored through the forms, watched the awkward hand-off from grandma to dad, and hoped the baby would scream or something to spice things up. Then I grew up a little, and it began to mean something. Then I became a mom and it really hit me. The forms took on fresh meaning, I hoped James wouldn't drop Jesse during the awkward hand-off, and I really hoped Jesse wouldn't ball his eyes out. Standing there, making a promise to care for Jesse, hearing the church make the same promise, and watching the water pour over Jesse's head and into his eyes, I felt the powerful, inconceivable love of God. God cares.So much so, that He chose to make a covenant with a handful of grimy sinners, a covenant that we can't even keep, so He keeps it all. Jesse has a Parent that knows his needs more than I ever will-- it's a humbling and a reassuring thought.
And so it has been a memorable month.

But not everything has been peachy, rosy rainbows. A more rounded picture of the month would include Ree getting pooped on, multiple times.
Pulling out her back-- also not so great.
Coping with the insecurities of being a mom who can't make her kid stop crying.
Figuring out what a date should look like with the backdrop of a squeeling, squawking infant. Feeling unproductive, despite the full time work of keeping my son alive.
Learning some unpleasant things about myself-- and not liking the learning curve.
The list goes on, but I'd rather end on a high note.
Although it's been raining for about 2 months straight, the sun will come out eventually.
Although Jesse is a "fuss-butt" he smiles for his daddy ( who has coined that term of endearment :)
I just finished an amazing book, "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck. A must read.
Although I'm home alone, I am cared for. This family is cared for.
God is teaching me things, and I am ready to learn.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

wish i coulda been there for the baptism! congrats! love ya!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your son's baptism, Ree. Praying that God will grant you the strength and wisdom you need to raise him! Motherhood does have a pretty steep learning curve, doesn't it? Hang in there - you're doing great! :o) For all the "is this normal?" sorts of stuff, I really like this website: http://www.askdrsears.com/default.asp
Hope all is well!
Chris.

dan brouwer said...

congratulations on Jesse's baptism! Glad to hear you guys are doing well and learning lots! Sounds fun!
Come to BC! There are lots of people here who would love to care for you/see you guys! :)