Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bring it on

Plays we've read in the past 31/2 weeks

Oedipus Rex
The Bacchae
Everyman
Mankind
Dr. Faustus
Volpone
Richard II
Henry IV
Henry V
Macbeth
Othello
Antony and Cleopatra
The Kite Runner ( not a play, but a must read!)

I don't mean to brag, but that's an aweful lot of reading material to accomplish in just over three weeks. Not to mention they are plays written in Old English. But the end is near- with our schedule looking something like this

Today- over
Thursday- research, lunch at the college, class from 2-4, then a Valentine's day bash with the Charlbury community- which reminds me, Tim and I are supposed to sing a song...and we haven't practiced.
Friday- Exam day
Saturday- more exam day, Lewis and Tolkien tour with Dr. Loney, a pizza party with the group, then another play to watch in Oxford
Sunday- church and hopefully no schoolwork
Monday-Wednesday- time to come up with two 10 page papers, and three shorter assignments.

That- my friends, will mark the end of the first term. After that, we head to London, watch a show, have a slumber party in our first hostel, then we all head off to our spring break destinations. Ahhh.. when in Rome

But let me bring you back to today. There is something slightly unnerving about taking your prof head on when he begins his class by openly ridiculing the absurdity of Calvinism, and the notion of predestination. Now, I recognize this is an issue even among fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, mostly because it is incredibly difficult to wrap your head around free will, and predestination. And so a part of me was thinking- wow- are we really going to get into this? Should I get into this? (Academics and laziness can often go hand in hand- don't be fooled) But as the initial introductory remarks turned into open hostility-- I resolved to be bold.

I opened my mouth- and we had ourselves one heck of an intense discussion for the next two hours.

I just wrote all about it, and then the internet cut out, and it deleted- without saving. Rather than recap the whole thing, we'll call it providence, and leave it at that.

Cheers!

No comments: