Sunday, July 8, 2007

Finally

You'd think that a month between posts would give me plenty to write about. Well, it does. The problem is that with a dysfunctional computer at home, events and ideas that crossed my mind were forced to remain in storage until computer access became available. So for the past month I've been harboring refugee thoughts, and true to their status, now they just don't want to leave. Bear with me while I attempt to chip away at the 'layers' that have entered, ingrained and solidified in my mind.

Musings from Genesis.
I don't understand why God would wrestle with Jacob, why Jacob was blessed through his wicked scheming, or why God constantly uplifts the underdog to proceed with his Master plan. Was polygamy a sin? Why is it considered righteous of Tamar to sleep with her father in law? Is the murder of the entire male Shechemite tribe justified because one woman was raped? Was Joseph a pompous ass? Is favoritism looked on with favour by God? Genesis amazes me. Definitely worth a look.

Day to day life.
Work this summer has been both delightful and dreary. As much as I love the perennial market, and learning what I can about plants, business, and competitive strategies, I feel like I have cut myself short. Working for my dad is a safe bet. It pays well, it's simple, it's comfortable ( as long as it stays under 35 degrees). But why do I always choose what's comfortable? My brother got a job working with handicapped adults in Ottawa. He's being stretched in a lot of different ways, and I am a bit envious. The thought of working with people gets me excited. Kids, adolescents, adults, whatever- especially from different cultures. That would be a treat. Well, we'll see what pans out for me in the future. For now I'll try to master the art of patience, biding my time in the packing barn where the plants come and go as often as Bert and Sully, who by the way, have begun to construct their second nest while trying to teach their babies how to fly. Talk about your multi-tasking )


Perhaps I am feeling a little bit blah at work because I just got home from BC, and true to James' description, it certainly is the "glory land."
British Columbia is breathtaking. Mountains, ocean, rain forests, rivers, beaches- the scenery alone was worth the trip. But I think aside from all the aesthetic beauty, meeting the Harskamps was a highlight. A very warm, welcoming family, to say the least. They made sure I got a full BC experience, and everyday was packed with things to do and see. We went hiking, kayaking, swimming, explored Vancouver, caught crabs and starfish on the beach, drove up to Whistler, had a campfire with James friends, played 'disc', basketball, volleyball, walked the pier, went to some sweet lookouts, explored the aquarium, watched a dolphin and beluga whale show, and danced the lights out at his cousins wedding. It was a whirlwind of a week, and absolutely amazing. Seeing James for ten days straight wasn't bad either :) The weather was fantastic too, hot and sunny all week long. This is just a brief skeleton sketch of the past week, but I can really only flesh it out if I want to write a mini- novel, which I do, but not in blog form. I'll just say it was the highlight of my summer, quite possibly year, so far.

On that note, I hope everyone is well, and I apologize for my terrible effort to keep you updated. Cheers!

5 comments:

D. J. Sikkema said...

hey ree. sounds like an awesome trip. can't wait to see your pics. you should apply to a christian horizons in ottawa. they would hire you in a second and they are always looking for workers. and if you apply now you can stay on there probably during school as part time relief for weekends or whatever. definitely worth a try and they are ALWAYS hiring. anyway, i hope i can see you and james again sometime soon (come to ottawa!) . TTFN.

dan brouwer said...

glad you enjoyed your visit here...you saw a buttload of stuff here...makes me realize how much is under my nose but I don't really go out to see it often. Maybe I can plan a trip to Ontario for reading week this upcoming school year...we'll see. take care

kyle and ade said...

ree! it was good to see you saturday night! glad to see yous got home safely!

Mr. H said...

You are cute. Period.

Tim Selles said...

ewww. James, please keep your flirtatious comments a little more private. Neat blog Ree, especailly seeing as I'm in the "glory land right now" and will be seeing some of the sights you saw this week. Miss you!