Thursday, July 12, 2007

Angry sky

My friend Tamara is crazy. Not literally, but she likes to do a lot of crazy things, which is why we really get along. Today Jocelyn and I went to visit her. You'd think a married woman would be a little more toned down, but this is where Tamara is strikingly different. After a boat ride with her parents on the Grand River, where we purposely rushed into a storm, and then fled with the birds at the first sight of lightning, Tamara took us to go pier jumping. Now, it was kindof cold, rainy, windy, and I hear lake Erie has some pretty bad under tow. I had no desire to jump off a 35 foot pier into crashing waves. Usually when I have no desire to do something, I don't, but for some reason Tamara can hype up anyone to do anything- and so when she went sprinting off the pier, I was only about 2 seconds behind her. Wow, what a rush. After a few jumps, we went to the top of the pier where you can't swim because of all the rocks. Unbelievable. Set against the dark sky, billowing clouds, streaks of rain, and peeping bits of sunlight, the sheer power of the waves crashing below us was really something to see.. up close. My friend wisely stayed up top, while Tamara and I scooted down to get some waves. We weren't being stupid, just a little daring. Bracing ourselves against the rocks, we let the waves crash over us, into us, around us... which was followed by a lot of laughing, and a bit of a rush. After a while, Joc called for us to come back up, so we said one more wave- and of course, it happens to be the biggest one we've seen yet. I brace myself and just get smacked in the face by a lot of water, but when I looked beside me, Tamara was gone. For a split second I was terrified. I know it would have been impossible for her to have gotten completely swept off the rocks, but for some reason I thought she was gone, and it scared me. The wave had knocked her off her feet, and she landed on her back a few feet away. Well, that was the end of that adventure. After seeing she was allright, we climbed back up and laughed our heads off. I'm glad we are still in one piece... maybe there is a reason why I only see her a few times in the summer :) Anyways, tonight was a good night. Tomorrow my friend Kerri is coming for the weekend, so I'm pretty pumped about that. It'll be good to see my travelling buddy again after so many months!

3 comments:

Mr. H said...

It sounded absolutely fantastic.

dan brouwer said...

crazy

Katrina VandenBerg said...

hey ree!
wow, i miss you and your adventures, i would have loved to be crushed by waves as long as you were there. me and robyn were said one dark night that we would walk into the dead of the forest at midnight without a flash light if you were there.
your time in BC sounds wonderful.
call me sometime we need to catch up!