Friday, May 11, 2007

a new blog

This week was good. In fact, it was great. Although an 11 hour work day on a farm may seem mundane, I kind of like it. Waking up early ( I do that anyways)
surrounded by a core group of friends ( Vaness brought me a coffee this morning, bless her heart) singing, laughing, eavesdropping on my Mexican friends who don't realize how much I actually learned in Spanish class... ahhhh it is good to be back. I am so glad that going to work isn't a chore. I mean, how crappy would my life be if the only thing I had to look forward to was the pay cheque? A bunch of numbers on a piece of paper dictating my happiness...sounds stupid when I put it that way, but that piece of paper is what makes the world go round. On second thought.. I think that's God.

It's interesting. When I get paid, the first thing I feel is pride. Satisfaction with what I've accomplished, my achievements, and my work. An hour ago, I wouldn't have given that any thought. Who cares? I should be proud of myself. Rev. Al kind of laid it out there a little differently in this evenings prayer day service. He gave a bit of a recap over the decades of how society reacts during poverty and affluence- the general trend being that when times are bad, the church is full, and when times are good, the church is empty. Perhaps this blurs the meanings of "good" and "bad"- but you know what I mean. The point is, when we succeed 2 things happen. We praise ourselves, and we forget God.

What really gets me is that this cycle has been repeating itself for centuries. I really can't imagine being in God's situation. He gives to us, we take what He gives, often thanklessly, and then praise our own efforts. Sure, I guess I was the one who worked for the pay cheque..but then again, my ability to work is thanks to a functioning body, which I have no control over. That's God's department. I guess all I'm trying to say is that God deserves a lot more credit than I give Him, and the message tonight was a good wake up call.

Now that I got that out of my system, I just want to give a quick shout out to my Redeemer buds that as much as I love being back home, I miss you all and the crazy life on campus.

Life is good.

6 comments:

Mr. H said...

I was suprised when I got paid yesterday. I totally wasn't expecting it or even thinking of it. I guess I just see work as something I do, not something I have to do for $$. Besides, what's there to look forward to in a paycheque when it goes to Justin Cooper's pocket anyways.

Rebecca said...

First- I think that's awesome. I asked my buddy the other day what she likes most about her job and her answer was getting her pay cheque. What a shame.
Second- paycheque- I realize it has the 'que' ( note i edited) but is it really one word? I think i'll stick with two.

Rebecca said...

ok- just read Tim's blog, and it's definitely one....maybe I should switch my major

Katrina VandenBerg said...

ree! you got your blog back up and running :)

your blog was a good reminder. the other day i was just thinking about how great it was to be making money again and it definitley made me feel quite proud and satisfied. not that being proud of your work is a bad thing...

cheers darling!

Tim Selles said...

rad. i think blogs make the rocking world go round.

Robyn deGroot said...

your blog was a good reminder. I've been worrying about how little i'm gunna make because I'm not getting very much hours right now. But then again, I get to enjoy the beautiful weather and work on my garden and my tan! I still do need more hours, but summer isn't all about the money. I miss you!!!