Sunday, February 4, 2007

Being Fed

I miss my Zulu friends from Agathos. Their culture, their country, their way of life. My brother just got home from South Africa, and I couldn't help but be reminded of my trip not so long ago. I spent about a week at Agathos orphanage- a single week- and out of my two month stay, the week i spent with those kids is by far my best memory. I remember getting out of the car, and being swarmed by about 20 curious, excited, laughing kids. My skin was white, my hair was blonde-ish, and I was from North America! They couldn't get over it. After a few days, I began to hear some of their stories. Orphans- left on the streets by indifferent parents, or parents who had no money, or who were dying from AIDS, or who had allready died. There were kids with full-blown TB, malaria, and AIDS. I held babies that were found in the toilet, or a dumpster, or just picked up off the streets. I can't forget the 14 year old girl that was kidnapped by her Uncle from Uganda and somehow landed up in the orphanage... pregnant. Man, it's a sad world. Yet, most of those kids were so happy! I didn't get it!! Of course, they were kids, ignorant of the reality of their situation... content to live one day at a time, playing swords, dancing, singing- wow- could they sing!
But what took me a while to figure out was what made these kids so content? I mean, sure, the area was absolutely beautiful, the people were friendly, they had a chance to go to school- but did that override the sickness, poverty and brokenness that was constantly threatening that tiny haven "Agathos"?
- I think the secret to their joy was that they were simply fed- in every sense of the word. They were loved. Cared for.Taught. Safe-because someone was looking after them. Kids don't notice poverty that much- they really don't. What they notice is that someone cares for them. It makes all the difference. The orphanage may have been poor- but these kids were eating like 'kings', and it showed. God's Word was opened, discussed, and taught regularly, and when Sunday rolled around- kids got excited for the trip to church!
Huh-- I guess it just makes me think. I tend to take being "fed" for granted. I can 'eat' whenever I want- I am surrounded by Christian friends, teachers, family, and of course, the Bible is always within reach. I did a devotional the other day on the dangers of a Christian university and one main concern was that of being desensitzed to Christianity. Constantly bombarded with christian teaching-perhaps the danger comes from being overfed-which seems to be a recurring problem in the rich western world..(Kinda takes a new spin on the NA problem of obesity)
Thinking back to those kids really puts things into perspective. They are a refreshing reminder of the love of God. He cares for them- and He cares for us- and though to some He has given very little, and to others much more- His love is the same. What a blessing- Let's not take it for granted.

3 comments:

Tim Selles said...

Thanks Ree. That blog echoes my thoughts, especially about being at a Christian university...

Robyn deGroot said...

awww, I love black kids. Ya, you nailed it. We have so much and totally take it for granted. It would be so awesome to be like those kids- completely content with almost nothing. Every little thing would seem so much better!

Tim Selles said...

I wish I had Zulu friends from Agathos. That sounds so RPG.