Monday, October 4, 2010

unknown territory

So I'm in it-- the unknown territory of pregnancy. I suppose I should say "we're in it"-- considering it took two of us to get to this point, but it always rubbed me the wrong way when a woman says "we're pregnant". That's just not possible. Boys will never be part of that club, so why pretend?
Anyways, I'm in it. I suppose this explains my former blog entitled "Tiiiired"-- one of those little unknown facts about the first trimester. For a person the size of a bean, he/she really knows how to sap your energy.
So, tiredness. Not something I'm used to, nor can say I particularly like. As much as I love my bed, it is something I consider untouchable until my bedtime hits. So roughly 10-11 at night, it is acceptable behaviour to go to bed.

And yet, during those early unknown months of pregnancy, I was breaking a lot of my bedtime rules. This did explain my trouble staying awake on my 30 minute drive to and from Maple Leaf. I thought it was just because Trine was no longer there, and so conversation was minimal, as in nonexistent. But no, I was pregnant. And naps were glorious.

And then that urge to puke. What's that about? For those first "unknown" months (when in complete denial) , I actually believe that it was my will power alone that held things at bay. I would not throw up. If anything, I would get nauseous, then take a little walk to talk myself out of nausea.
I must say that once the undeniable facts were in, I puked. A little lesson on the power of the mind.

Getting hired last minute to work two teaching jobs was a huge blessing. No more nauseating drives to the farm. Now I had the wonderful opportunity to teach in a multi-cultural school, and take in all the wonderful ethnic food smells.
No one really tells you that your sense of smell is heightened when you get pregnant. What's interesting is that the things I'm not supposed to have I seem to naturally now find disgusting. Coffee, beer, sushi, soft cheeses... not on my priority list at the moment.
The typical pregnancy thing-- craving foods--- has not really hit me yet. My thighs thank me for this. However, I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I hear the second trimester's a real treat for that sort of thing.

James has been so incredibly wonderful in all of this. We are both pretty pumped to be parents, although I know it will change our lives completely. But, being fully on side with change, I think it will be pretty cool, and James- well, I know he'll make one amazing daddy for the "little princess" that he thinks we'll have. To be honest, I think we are both hoping the first one takes after papa James. Every parent loves the shy obedient kid. We are hoping my personality kicks in around number 3 or 4. It's healthier for everyone that way :)
All in all, life is very good.

3 comments:

dan brouwer said...

wow! still can't believe it! this is great!

I haven't talked to James for a bit - I tried to on the facebook chat, but I think James was in Boston at that time.

We're excited for you guys here at the Brouwer resident! We'll be thinking and praying for you both!

A phone call chat or skype would be great.

Unknown said...

i liked this

Anna said...

I should read your blog more! This was great :)