Thursday, January 22, 2009

Really?!

I used to seriously wonder if I would be the drifter in my family. You know, that crazy single aunt that is never really around because she bought a camel in Namibia or hunts kangaroo for a living.
But these thoughts would always be tagged with the nagging question of "but who the heck will do this with me?"

You never know, really. You hope, but that's about all you can do as your dreams pile up and you frantically snatch at the opportunities that bump you on your way to school, then skip ahead so you can chase them. And then BAM- midstride- you meet him.
The mysterious guy that you have thought about off and on as you've grown up, speculated about with your friends, and formed in your mind as the "perfect guy" at all the birthday parties, and you have to check your stride and ask, "really?"

And you ask yourself that, not because you're disappointed, but because you've been caught up in the excitement of other things- getting that degree than booting off to New Zealand to "start your life"- that you've sort of forgotten the possibility that your life might just have better plans... like it wants to 'start' a bit earlier.

And that's what happened when I met James. He came out of nowhere. I wasn't expecting him, or sure of him (there had been certain warnings :)but I was caught midstride and asking myself "really?"
And that's the beatiful mystery of it. Somehow, we fit. I don't think I've met a man more opposite to my personality ( I do NOT see us hunting kangaroo) but so similar in convictions. It is an interesting dynamic that not only has me excited but committed.

The honest truth is, after almost 2 years of dating, I can't see myself with anyone else. And the best part is, I haven't altered a single dream--I've just found an answer to that one nagging question...

I guess love will do that to you!
James' already mentioned that we're getting married. He proposed, much to my surprise January 9 and the wedding date is set for August 21. Seven months to plan a wedding and buy a camel!

Piece of cake :)

No comments: