Thursday, March 13, 2008

Caliban



The past week has been a blur. Somewhere between fighting with a persistent head cold while trying to wrap my head around Caliban's schizo personality, all the pent up frustration, days of memorizing lines, and carried over exhaustion from spring break spilled out onto the stage on Friday night. How did the production go? Well, the answers vary.

For those of us who like this sort of thing, it was a good night. For those of us who have never acted in our lives, nor ever wish to do so again, just getting through the thing- regardless of cutting off speakers, forgetting lines, needing 9 prompts, and laughing on stage during a final song.. was a challenge. I suppose the difference in attitude was most notable at the end. Those who thrive off drama may have felt disappointed with the few screw ups, tough crowd, and train wreck ending...whereas a few others came out of their singing "Hallelujiah! I made it through alive! Yes, I suppose I could be lumped in with the latter group on that one. BUT, it is over. And that is one more thing I can cross off my list of things I have never done. Wow, singing in public and acting on stage. Scary stuff.

But a week has passed since our production, and I have realized that the only things I remember from the past week are the social highlights with the group. School? Not so much.
I have come to the conclusion that spring makes people want to play. Generally, I love to play all the time, but spring just puts people over the edge. And so the field across the street has become our stomping grounds-hosting one game of American Football, one game of competitive soccer, one hilarious chicken fight, an aerobics session led by Laura Loney, many pre-game warm up laps, and one fantastic game of soccer baseball. All of which are done in the rain- because the rain tends to tag along with spring quite regularly. But no worries. We are told this builds character ( this "character" I'm building seems to be aimed at my nose, with the revival of an old head cold) Nevertheless- believe me people, we have fun.

So the other night was boggle night. Leave it to a bunch of English majors to spend their friday night spelling words competitively. It's great. We met at Sharon's, had a glass of wine, then wandered down to Gabby's place, where we discovered her secret identity as host genius. For poor students, the sight of a fruit and veggie platter is like stumbling onto a gold mine. Mango's, bananas, cantaloupe, strawberries... does it get any better? Then broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cucumbers, and celery. With dip! Yum.
So along with the food, came boggle, catch-phrase, dutch blitz, a good movie, and a great conversation until about 1:30 am. I won't rehash the conversation, but it was an eye opener to the many view points there are concerning love and leadership. That was a gross generalization of what was discussed, but there's a taste. Very enjoyable.

Yesterday we met at the field again, ran like idiots in the rain, warmed up with some hot chocolate and whipcream at Laura's while watching "I am Sam" then decided we should all get together at Jodi's for a pancake/sausage/bacon/home fries dinner. This was a great idea, until I realized the ingredients were scattered all over Charlbury, which involved me running in the rain for about 40 minutes to round them up, and by the time I made it back to Jodi's with the goods, I was soaked to the bone. The cold is officially back. I don't know how to get the message across that it wasn't missed. But anyways, the meal was fantastic, followed by a night at the pub with my hostess Beccy and her friends.

Fellowship people. I honestly couldn't live without it. Speaking of which, Church starts in 15 minutes, so I better get started with my walk in the rain.

This is a shout out to everyone back home that although I'm having a great time, I still love and miss everyone back home!! (Hint to my mom to keep me updated on family news! And the same hint goes for the friend department too :)
These are for you mom, to give you an idea of where I'm living, and what the house looks like :) Here's Tim and Tiger in the kitchen
Living room- below is dining room Kitchen Laundry room/ complete with everything you need to make tea/coffee and bagels The Lane I walk everyday to get to my house!The backdoor to the house One of the beautiful views of the Cotswold countryside- about 2 seconds from my housePeeking over the wall to watch some little league soccer
Hope that helps! Cheers!

No comments: