Friday, January 25, 2008

Weekend!

So here are some new pictures on an old blog. This picture is very similar to the other one, but closer up- and since the zoom has broken on my camera, I am using Laura's quality pictures. I stepped in some bird poop on my way to see a monument. I was not impressed. I guess the picture makes that fairly evident.
Tim and I running to catch up with the group after we stopped so I could chase a flock of Canadian geese and scare a swan. Don't worry, the English don't like our national bird.




This is Tiger.




It's now Friday, which officially marks my first week in England. So far? Amazing. Classes are fantastic, Oxford is beautiful, and the group is really fun. Tonight was 'formal hall' at the college, which was made even more formal due to good old "Robbie Burns"- the Scottish poet that everyone around here knows and loves. Because of the Scottish theme, a lot of the men were dressed in the formal Scottish gig- kilts, sporran's, knee socks, daggers... it was very cool. There were a few speeches, a couple toasts, a lot of drinking, a meal of haggis ( which I think is meat stuffed into a sheep's stomach) and some really great dancing.








Although I wasn't too keen on the 'formal' part- Sharon and Laura took me under their wing and made me look presentable. A bunch of us arrived early because we joined the college choir. I am supposed to be committed now for the next four practices. The real reason I went was because I didn't want to take the train on my own to Oxford at night. I'm such a wimp. In any case, the choir was fun ( we sang some Celtic songs!) and the formal was a hit. Here's some pictures to give you an idea of who I'm over here with and sharing my adventures with!Bethany, me and AlishaMe and a Scottish stranger- I just really liked his kilt.d I snuck into someone's garden for a prime photo opp. The place was beautiful!





A typical English cottage. And the picture below marks Saturday- and our trip into Woodstock to see the Blenheim Palace- former home of Winston Churchill.Here is most of the gang- minus Heather, Megan and Gabrielle. In this picture we have Jodi, Sharon and Laura in the front, then Tim, Mark, Bethany, Bethany, and Alisha. I'm the one with the camera. You can't see me.




The front of the palace ( unfortunately, it was closed today, because of a wedding)




Today was fantastic. Laura, Sharon and Jodi showed up at around 11am. we rounded up the gang and hopped on a double decker bus to woodstock, for 3.40 pounds round trip. Honestly, the ride alone was worth the trip. I can't believe these buses can even travel on the roads over here. They are so narrow- I thought I was on a roller coaster for 6 miles! In any case, we only smoked one tree, and hit the curb about three times. The driver was good.





We snuck into the palace grounds through the side doors, and explored the whole afternoon. The pictures speak for themselves at this point. What I will say is that once Mark became the leader of the group, we ended up a mile outside of Woodstock, and had to make quite a hike to get back to the bus stop. But it was an adventure.





Now I am home, the girls are here having an internet party, and it's nice to have the whole night to just do nothing. I hope everyone back home is well! Much love!

No comments: