Saturday, October 13, 2007

Today I started a grease fire.
I put it out with salt.

I love the weather. I don't want snow and I don't want humidity. I want exactly what I have right now, and that is deliciously chilly weather. I am happy to be wearing socks again, I am happy to put on a baggy hoody, I am happy to make two cups of tea, wrap myself in blankets, wear a scarf and read outside on the front lawn for three hours straight. That's what this weather does to me. It just makes me happy.

The colours also do it for me. Not bright, not ugly and dull- but 'earthy'. Relaxed and aging- like it should be. The sky is not just open blue, but it's not dreary grey either. It's patchy. Blue sky behind bundles of white and grey clouds, and yet the sun is still there, keeping up appearances. Absolutely lovely. October 13, 2007. What a day.

It's Saturday, about 5pm, and I should be working on my Commentary Review. Instead I'm sitting in the kitchen staring out the window. It's a very big window, and so it's not really my fault that I'm always caught staring out of it. Once I get past the deck, white railing, struggling geranium basket,and freshly cut lawn, my eyes hit no man's land. An open field, recently plowed under, pretty sad looking, but it always draws my attention anyway. It's probobly because it just sits there, idly, like myself, but has this incredible backdrop of a dark cloudy sky. What is this obsession I have with the sky? I really don't know. I just like it.

5 comments:

dan brouwer said...

love the colors in the fall. hope things are going well out in Ontario

Rebecca said...

Dan- I'm not going to lie. The colours have been disappointing. The weather has been too dry, and the leaves fell off way too early. But life is still pretty fantastic over here in Ontario. You should try to squeeze in a visit sometime. You are more than welcome!

Katrina VandenBerg said...

Im looking out the window that you speak of right now. Except there is machinery ripping soil that marrs it just a bit.

:)

Stewart said...

Rebecca, I like you. I wish I could look out your window... and maybe see jimbo frolicking in the fresh plowed field. that would make me smile... possibly cause I would be thinking how fun it might be to sprint across the street and tackle him.

Tim Selles said...

Ree, I hear England has just the same delightful weather you described in this blog...