Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Language blows my mind. The very fact that you can understand that first sentence shows how incredible language is. We create it, use it, manipulate it, and depend on it. What's more, we trust it. We speak literally, metaphorically, analogously, poetically- it's all encompassing, it's how we express ourselves. How could we function in society without it?

But where does it come from? I know God initially gave Adam the ability to speak, and name creatures, but no doubt our vocabulary has grown since the garden. As we develop new ideas, experiment, discover new creatures- do we just slap letters together and trust that the meaning of those letters will in time make itself clear to everyone? And what about abstracts? The concept of justice, truth, and love have been generally understood- at least in my own limited experience in my own specific culture. But how does it work cross culturally? I just don't know. I can't get in the mind of another person, and so I just don't know if my notion of justice can equate with that of oh, let's say a Russian. Words. Language. We put a faith in it, because we trust the meaning in the letters. But what happens when we start to doubt language?

It's a scary thought- to strip away this foundation of language- the way we articulate and express ourselves. It just seems like the next logical progression of living in a postmodern relativistic society. We tolerate everything, and believe nothing. That is, capital T truth has gone out the window, and been replaced by some lukewarm pablem that just doesn't suffice. And yet, words still hold their meaning. But how long until that too is thrown out the window? The same mentality that says " you can believe that, but don't force it on me" can be used to say, " your words might mean that, but they mean something different for me". When that starts to happen ( and I'm going to take back what I said before, and say it IS already happening) we are headed into some pretty dangerous territory.

But I'm going to veer away from this philosophical direction, and head back to wear I wanted this post to originally go- and the only connection I can make here is that I have been reading a heck of a lot for the past two days, which has made me think a fair bit about language. But it has also made me think about what it means to be a student. So moving on..

I am a student, which means I have to study. But for what purpose? Bacon nails it.
"Studies serve for pastimes, for ornaments, and for abilities" that is, for private pleasure, to be equipped to engage in discussions, and to sharpen your judgment.
This bit was great- " To spend too much time in them is sloth"
It's interesting, because we need balance when it comes to our studies, yet it is our studies that balance us. Bacon puts a lot of emphasis on the reading, writing, and discourse as the main components of "study". Language is fundamental in all three( Interesting how that never seems to change, even though language does) But he says,
"Reading makes a full man, conversation a ready man, and writing an exact man." So, if you don't write a lot, you better have a good memory, and if you don't talk a lot, you better have quick wit, and if you don't read, you had better be cunning, so as to seem to know what you really don't.

For Bacon, some reading requires just a tasting, others a bit of chewing, still others must be swallowed and digested- that is, read wholly. Reading works on varying levels, but it still remains central to study.

After all the reading I've been doing- I must admit, I am comforted. Thank you Sir Francis Bacon.

4 comments:

D. J. Sikkema said...

nice post. I have a bit of a problem with one of the statements you make about adam and eve having a smaller vocabulary "undoubtedly". if the creation was a mature creation and adam and eve conversed in a prelapsarian way, why would it be some primitive type of language. I think Adam had an understanding of language so vast that his ability to name the animals, to get at their essence with a sound or collection of sounds, is something that post lapsarian language loses. Which is what you seem to be worried about, the shifting meanings. I think you are arguing for a type of univocal approach to the thing and the word, or the signifier (word) and signified. You want rock to connect to the image of rockness you hold to be absolute. But meanings change and words change, and sometimes language isn't reflective of meaning, but projects meaning. i think insofar as that goes, the Poststructurality/modernist movements have hit something. Often the language we use is used to oppress someone psychologically, Bacon said Knoweldge is power, and he was right. But knowledge is only communicable through words and language. Therefore language is also power. Now the PM movement is skeptical of power and those who control it, and sometimes rightfully so, but I think we need to understand the power language can have and use it wisely... since all power on heaven and earth belongs to you know who. I think before the Fall Adam could get a direct line between his words and the objects behind those words... Today, if we try any such type of Naming, we are not getting to the essence of a creature, but creating one of our own.

Rebecca said...

I'm not sure I'm advocating a univocal approach, if what you mean by that is language as solely literal. But I do believe language is reflective of meaning. How could it be otherwise? If language projects meaning, is there something in the word itself that naturally has meaning? In Plato's Cratylus- this is the very dilemma of the nature of language. Is it natural, or conventional? I strongly hold to language as conventional- thus my concern with shifting meaning. But back to Adam and Eve- I won't argue that their use of language was primitive- but I will argue that it has been developed and expanded since then. I mean, I should hope so. We've had a lot of time to develop it. But the notion that they could get a direct line between the object and the word.. hmm.. I wonder what that's based on? Is a monkey called a monkey because the word naturally fits? I don't really know, but my inclination is to say I don't think so. But by all means-fill me in on that

D. J. Sikkema said...

i guess you are assuming adam and eve spoke english?

Rebecca said...

haha.. good point