Monday, October 17, 2011

Adventures in Ecuador

We are here! There were moments last week when I had my doubts we'd ever make it, but God has been good.
Despite Jesse's last minute throat/ear infections, my bout with what I imagine to be mastitis, and James'body struggling with being over 9000 ft above sea level, the Harskamp family is alive and well in Quito, Ecuador.
The next few months will certainly be an adventure.
I think I, in particular, am going to have to adjust to life behind electric wires, gates, locks and alarms. My time in the D.R, and South Africa exposed me to this, but it still doesn't sit well. Despite the walls that are dusted in shards of glass, the Jonkman's home is warm and welcoming--and large. It is suited perfectly to their ministry, considering how many events/groups they host, and we are happy to be settling in so easily. Considering it is typically safer inside rather than out, the yard consists of a nice square patch of grass, and beautiful potted hibiscus plants (and others, that I don't recognize). Jesse and I have spent a few sunny afternoons walking around that patch. Jesse and I are outdoor people.
The first few days here have been purposefully low key to help us adjust. Yesterday was our first real outing to church, which lasted from about 9:30- 2:00. I love the structure of their service. They begin with Sunday School for all ages. It's more like an hour long Bible study. After that they grab coffee and snacks and socialize on the grounds (a beautiful, LARGE grassy area overlooking the mountains). After that, the service starts up, which lasts another hour or so. Yesterday they had to do some voting for elders and deacons, which they did on a whiteboard in front of the congregation. Interesting approach, and definitely might make a few men squirm back home, as the votes are tallied right in front of you :)
After church, we had a few hours to relax, and then the bible study group came over for more study, prayer, and food. The idea of serving coffee and cake in the living room is not welcomed here. If you eat or drink, you do it around a table. I like it.
I have a lot to learn in the Spanish department, but I enjoy the one on one conversations (more like clipped dialogue) I have managed to have. In large groups, I prefer to sit quiet and just listen. The tongue will loosen up eventually, I'm sure. It always does :)
Anyways, today James did a lot of computer work for both Fred and Arlene, as I tagged along with Arlene around Quito. I especially enjoyed Pollo Supremo. A chicken butchery where you get cheap chicken-- a foreign concept in Ontario. We also picked up an excersaucer for Jesse from the church, and his little legs have never been happier.
In the next few weeks I will be beginning to teach ESL to whoever cares to learn some basic English. I am looking forward to it. It's been awhile since I've been able to teach, and I have to admit, I do miss it. Again, the language might prove to be a barrier, but that's all part of the experience.
And so the next adventure begins....

No comments: