Monday, August 16, 2010

Grandpa turns 75

The Sikkema clan is now pushing a 80 + people, which doesn't work so well if you want to get together to discuss politics, but it happens to be the perfect amount for birthday parties. My grandpa turned 75, and the party was epic. You might not think so, this being a birthday party for an "old guy", but my grandpa is the man, and I'm telling you, it was a good party.

First there were potato sack races. We ran several different heats, and I have to say, I dominated among the female cousins/aunts. However, due to a mistep due to exhaustion (the distance was WAY too far!) I, and my lung, collapsed right before the finish line.

Next we had three legged races. Again, I must say, Alaina and I were destroying when my Aunt Fran and Aunt Renee decide to cheat on the distance. They had this brilliant idea that they wouldn't go around Jim-- they would just sort of turn around midway. Of course we just smoke them, head on, and my hip nicely pile drives Aunt Fran's skull into the grass. And there we lay in a crumpled heap.. a cool runnings moment. I blame Fran.

The next game was a bit more tame. 25 plastic bowls were laid in a line across the grass, and the kids were told to lie down, hands behind their backs, in front of a bowl. Of course, it didn't end up just being the kids, but my uncles, brothers, dad, and of course, myself. Anyways, the bowls have 8 jelly beans at the bottom, which are covered with a pile of whip cream. First one done eating the beans wins.. simple as that. Of course it just ended up being everyone throwing bowls of whipcream in ppl's faces.... which was also very hilarious.

Anywhoo, just a shout out to the Sikkema family that I love them all and their intellectual craziness. Such a great combo. And of course, a happy birthday to my dear grandpa.


No comments: